Monday, April 27, 2009

This May Be Goodbye, India

I’ve been saying my goodbyes to friends as they trickle out of the hostel, embarking on their post-semester adventures. Mine begins today, and I am sad to depart from this beautiful campus and from so many amazing people. It was hard packing up my art projects and shaking the hands of some of the most talented and inspiring artists I’ve met from my studio. The other day in a fit of pre-reminiscence, I snapped some pictures of my campus to show how full of life it really is. That’s really it- India is just so alive.

It’s been a crazy couple of weeks- wrapping everything up, bargaining for those last gifts for everyone, studying for finals, painting, surviving a huge bar fight, and volunteering at an AIDS orphanage. Plus packing, and mentally preparing to return back to reality, move into my dorm, begin summer classes and interview for a co-op job- all starting the day I get back.


Regardless of my inability to plan a bit of rest, I am super excited for my last trip up to the Himalayas, in a holy town called Rishikesh. It’s been visited by some band called the Beatles- you may have heard of them. The Ganges river (healing powers I hear) will be rafted, and mountains will be hiked. I hope my parents (and mystery roommates) are ready to receive one stinky, deliriously exhausted, crazily-dressed girl on May 5th! I probably won’t have showered or slept in two days- but at least my hair has finally turned back to normal after being pink from holi.


Being in India has given me such an insight into my life and who I am. My time here has been simultaneously empowering and calming, and I have learned more in these four months than I ever could have imagined. I have realized, to a degree, many of the things that I had been afraid of, and I feel so free. I refuse to let fear of the unknown, fear of judgment, and fear of failure affect me after this. India has taught me intense patience but also has given me the confidence to demand my voice be heard. And I have discovered such an appreciation for everything and everyone that I am so lucky to have in my life. I really want to thank everybody for all of their support and patience and love while I’ve been gone, and I can’t wait to see you all soon!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your last adventure, and have a safe trip home!
    Aunt Cathy & Uncle Frank

    ReplyDelete